Child's First Year Of College And Having Anxiety? Tips To Help Them Get Through

22 February 2017
 Categories: Health & Medical , Blog

The first year of college can be difficult for some people, and especially young adults who are moving away from home for the first time in their lives. If your child has done this and is having a lot of anxiety attacks due to school, below are some tips on how you can help them get through this difficult time in their life.

Their School Schedule

The classes they chose could play a big part in their anxiety attacks. For example, if they chose to take all hard classes in one semester this can get very overwhelming. Talk with them about this and ask them how they are doing in each class. If they are having problems keeping up with everything, ask them to talk to a counselor to see if they could drop at least one class. This will give them more time to focus on the other classes. Next semester, tell them to set up a schedule with one or two hard classes, with the rest being classes that are easier for them.


If your child still has anxiety attacks they should talk to a psychologist. Some colleges have a psychologist in their school so have your child checked on that. That will be much cheaper, especially if you do not have insurance or if your insurance does not cover this type of treatment.

If the school psychologist determines that your child needs ongoing treatment, they will likely refer your child to another psychologist out from school. If your child needs any medication they will refer them to a psychiatrist.

Other Disorders

Your child may be suffering from another disorder that is causing their anxiety. The psychologist will likely see this once they see your child for a few appointments. One type of disorders that can cause anxiety is bipolar disorder.

There are two types of bipolar disorder: Bipolar 1 and Bipolar 2. If your child has mild symptoms they have bipolar 2, which is much harder to detect when compared to Bipolar 1 disorder. A psychologist, however, could detect this and help your child, which is why it is so important that they see a professional.

Break From College

No matter if your child has only anxiety or a bipolar disorder, they may want to take a break from school. Their medications may take time to start working. This will also help relieve anxiety because your child will not have to stress about school. Ask your child to move home, if possible. They can get a job while they are off school once their symptoms are normal again.

A psychologist can go over these things with your child so they can have a full understanding of what is happening to them.